January 6, 2012

Hello

Hi there! This is the first post for Leo's treatment blog.

Today we went to Memorial Sloan-Kettering (MSK) for Leo's first chemotherapy treatment. We didn't know until yesterday that we would be starting today, but it was great to get going so quickly after the wedding. Go away, cancer! 

The process took about 3 hours during which Leo was hooked up to an IV and given ABVD. We were in our own little room with a recliner for Leo and a chair for me. They did their best to keep him comfortable, propping up his feet, bringing him ginger ale, and covering him with a blanket that had been warmed up in a special machine (I want one). Nurse Alice took care of us and explained everything that was happening as she switched drips and injections. We asked a lot of questions, watched some TV, did a crossword. Leo ate a ham sandwich. 

We're now back at home and Leo's doing fine. He's sleepy from the Benadryl they gave him, but that's about it. It sounds like side effects might begin tonight or tomorrow, but we've gotten medication to manage them, and we'll get more if we need them. More on side effects when they occur.

Here are a few things that we learned recently: 

1. Trial: Leo has agreed to participate in a study for patients with advanced stage Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Our doctor recommends the trial for people like Leo with favorable HL, meaning he has few of the risk factors that are associated with the disease. Being in the study doesn't change his treatment/timeline or require more tests. 

2. Timing: Leo will receive ABVD chemotherapy every other week on Thursdays (next one on 1/19) for the next 6 months. After 2 months, there will be a PET scan to see if the cancer is responding. If it isn't, he may have to switch drugs, which would extend treatment by a month. 

3. Radiation: We're still not sure if it will be necessary. Regardless it won't happen in the next 2 months. 

4. Bone marrow biopsy: Leo had one yesterday. According to him, it wasn't as painful or scary as you might think. It did feel "weird" though. Next week we'll know if the cancer has spread to his bone marrow. Whether it has or not won't change his treatment. 

5. Sushi: Leo can't eat any while he's being treated. Doh. I guess I'll refrain out of solidarity. Oh Leo, the things I do for you...

That's all for now. More soon.

4 comments:

  1. This is very helpful and much appreciated, Raku.

    Also, you should still totally eat sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that an ACDC regimen is sometimes used as a supplemental treatment with ABVD. You should bring this up with the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo - don't be shy to ask for morphine, dilaudid, viacodin, valium, etc. Seriously...you owe it to your friends at the very least.

    Also...were you awake for your bone-marrow biopsy? If so, I call bullshit on it just feeling "weird". My first biopsy felt like going through labor while simultaneously being kicked in the nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was awake. It did hurt -- the needle pinched a lot going in, and then the part where they took the sample caused an achey pain inside my bone, plus there was a lot of pressure being exerted by the doctor. But I had imagined something more excruciating, like what you describe. I guess I was lucky!

    ReplyDelete