Well we've made it through the first four days after treatment, and I have to say: Chemo is not nice, but I forgive it.
Our weekend went like this:
Friday: Treatment day. Leo was great. A little dopey from the Benadryl, a little jittery from something in the ABVD, but otherwise not bad at all.
Saturday: Still energetic. Some mild nausea, but this didn't stop him from chattering like a magpie (if you can picture Leo as a magpie) or going for a long walk around the neighborhood.
Sunday: Feeling not-so-good. Queasy, achy, tired.
Today: More of the same. He's been discovering new pains in different places (mouth, neck, rib). The winner so far is the one that happens when his salivary glands are activated. The first bite of every meal today involved some wounded expressions. Leo told me it wasn't my cooking, but I wish it was - I could fix that... Still Leo says that he (maybe, kind of, not really sure, but possibly) feels (a touch) better than yesterday. That's a plus! And we're not discounting any of those.
Other pluses:
1. The side effects could be worse and often are for other types of chemo
2. Side effects are a lot better than cancer
3. Right now he's too distracted to remember that his new wedding band is uncomfortable and annoying. Also that it represents shackles on his manhood. Yes!
It sounds like ice cream is in order for tasty and easy eating!
ReplyDeleteOh and if dry mouth is a symptom, I've heard biotine helps??
ReplyDeleteThanks, Yoshi! Check on the ice cream and the Biotine. I also mix up batches of baking soda, salt & water for swishing. I've been using it too. It kind of tastes gross, but it helps prevents colds. I sound just like Babachan!
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud at the wedding band business - a week after our marriage 40 years ago, Roger decided that the ring chafed on a scar - now isn't a scar on view so much more manly than a wedding band?! But Raku, just remember how much more tender and sensitive men-skin is than our tough hides! Love to you both, xxxx
ReplyDelete