Since we last spoke, Leo's experienced some highs and lows.
His fever went on a for a while - it felt like two hundred years but was actually two weeks - and we had to postpone chemo number 9 for a few days. Fortunately he was given special shots that eliminated the infection. Since then he's been receiving the same shots after every treatment. And I'm the lucky winner who administers them. You'd be proud of my professionalism: I tap the syringe with my finger and look sensible. Leo (understandably) hates when I give him the shots until we get to the part where I patch on a Spongebob band aid. Big smiles then. Of course he also knows it's for a good cause, namely helping his bone marrow grow more white blood cells and thereby boosting his immune system. It's had a huge impact on his quality of life, and he has loads more vim and vigor than before. Jazz hands!
In other news, Leo graduated law school last week. He also had his second-to-last chemo treatment on Tuesday. Zonks. Time moves fast when -- well, sometimes time just moves fast.
Next up, Leo's last treatment.

When he was a kid, our son David became addicted to plasters and had to have one for the least little mark, to the point where I had to have two bandaid boxes - one that he knew about and a hidden, secret one out of his reach that made sure there were plasters in case anyone really needed them. Be warned! Sponge Bob's can be addictive! Addicts can be very clever, you may need to look Leo in the eye (sternly) and ask him why that sock is pulled up higher than the other one, just what is it concealing? Keep a count of the Sponge Bob's left in the box and if there are any missing, well, there is always Sponge Bob Anonymous.Congratulations to Leo for your graduation (clever boy) and congratulations Raku for all your magnificent efforts (clever girl). Love as always from the Porter Clan in Europe. XXXXX
ReplyDeleteHaha what a terrific story! We too have two bandaid boxes - I don't think Leo would forgive me if I dipped into his supply. Unfortunately his socks are always the same height. He's far too crafty not to divide his stash evenly between the pair...
DeleteCongrats to Leo on graduation and approaching his last treatment! And to Nurse Extraordinaire, Raku! XOk
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kristin! xox
DeleteHaven't been checking in on your blog for a little while (I suck), but now that I am, boy am I happy to hear good news--both on the well-being front, as well as graduation! I remember flushing out Akilesh's PICC line, which was a huge thing for me since I have a needle phobia. Please update soon on his latest (and hopefully last) treatment!!
ReplyDeleteHi, Julia! Just updated with some good news. Thanks for checking in! I can only imagine how hard it must have been to handle Akilesh's PICC with a needle phobia. Hope the both of you are doing excellently.
Delete