January 13, 2012

On Normality and Food

Leo has been feeling a lot better these last couple of days. Many of the side effects have been reduced to a murmur, leaving him "almost normal." Normal enough to plague me with bad jokes and classic Leo-like behaviors (imagine these for yourself, but keywords are: watches, procrastination, and Leo you'd better WRITE YOUR PAPERS). Normal enough for us to bicker like an old married couple. Or maybe the Odd Couple, but, weirdly, we take turns being Oscar and Felix at exactly the same time and argue about that. 

Over the past few weeks Leo and I have been lucky enough to receive some incredibly generous offers and gifts of home-cooked food, often involving magical door-to-door service (see photo). We love the food! Thank you so much.

Something that we've recently learned is that there are several (normally healthy) foods that Leo can't eat now that he's started chemo. So, though this sounds awfully presumptuous, I thought I should give a heads up to avoid anyone going to the trouble of preparing food that Leo can't actually eat. Below are things that he should avoid.


Too Acidic (will hurt the mouth):
Tomatoes, raw or cooked
Citrus fruits or juices
Vinegar or vinegary foods
Coffee
Alcohol

Other Mouth Irritants
Spicy foods
Hard, dry, or coarse foods
Very hot/cold foods
Very sugary foods

Bacteria Carriers (due to a lowered immune system):
Raw milk cheeses
Raw fruits and vegetables that haven't been washed/peeled
Raw fish or meat

When the doctor told us about all the foods to avoid, Leo's only question was, "So I shouldn't eat steak tartare?" I really don't think that was a joke.

6 comments:

  1. Can still eat hamburgers and spaghetti (sans tomatoes) I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These doctors fail to point out that a lot of these ingredients cancel out. Ex: whiskey soaked oysters with a harisa/haribo/goat cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm I smell some cutting-edge new recipes a-brewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a foody theme, I'm reading a hilarious book at the moment "Cooking with Fernet Branca" (yes, it is a novel)by James Hamilton with some interesting recipes you may not want to try! Love and hugs, the Porters xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS! We'd like to send you a copy, but how? Can you Email me your present address? Do you use Kindles? XXXXX

    ReplyDelete